Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Antigone and her Sentence

Why does the sentry bring Antigone to Creon despite knowing she will be executed? Is the death penalty a fitting punishment for Antigone's crime? Explain. How does she defend herself?

The sentry brings Antigone to Creon because he does not want to be punished for the burial of Antigone's brother. The sentry wants to prove his innocence, and he does not care what he must do to prove it. I do not think the death penalty is a fitting punishment for Antigone because I believe burying her brother was the just thing to do. I think Antigone made the right decision and I don't think she should be punished for showing love towards her brother. Antigone does not defend herself and admits that she was the one who buried her brother. Rather than trying to get out of her punishment, Antigone says she is happy with her decision and does not regret anything.

2 comments:

  1. Hannah,
    I thoroughly agree with your statements about the sentry and Antogone's not defending herself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your explanations. I like your explanation for why the sentry brought Antigone to Creon.

    ReplyDelete